Zhejiang University people bag first prize at 10th ASC Student Supercomputer Challenge

dailyeducation

Administrator
Staff member
89ffeb27-f97f-487b-a1bf-6a5ffb658c80.jpg

On May 10, 2023, Zhejiang University Supercomputing Team won the First Prize and the Highest Linpack award at the 10th ASC Student Supercomputer Challenge Finals, held at the University of Science and Technology of China. Led by Assoc. Prof. CHEN Jianhai, Researcher WANG Zeke, and Assoc. Prof. ZHANG Yin, the team This team consists of CHEN Yi, YANG Zihan, QIAN Xingjian, and CHEN Kaiqi from College of Computer Science and Technology, and XU Shaojun from College of Control Science and Engineering. They set a new world record for the highest computing performance, achieving an amazing floating-point performance of 109 TFLOPs while operating within a 3,000W power consumption limit.

The competition, which lasted over a year, required participating teams to build supercomputing clusters within a strict 3,000W power consumption limit and complete seven tasks. After the thrilling preliminary round, the Top 24 teams, including Peking University, Tsinghua University, and others, advanced to the finals. Zhejiang University’s team entered the final stage as the global first place. In the final, the team attracted everyone’s attention with an innovative “one-machine, eight-card” architecture that demonstrated strong advantages in HPL computing performance and GPU-related tasks. Notably, the team set a new world record for the highest computing performance. With strong professional skills and perseverance, they achieved the First Prize and the Highest Linpack award.

QIAN Xingjian, who was in charge of Linpack, said, “I am truly pleased with the remarkable achievement of our ZJU supercomputing team, and it fills me with great pride. I extend my sincere thanks to our teachers and seniors for their equipment and technical support, enabling us to innovate in cluster architecture and set a new HPL world record. We will continue to work hard, learn from our experiences, and strive for even better results in the future.”

This year’s ASC challenge featured cutting-edge science and engineering applications, including running and optimizing benchmark tests HPL & HPCG, AI language model YYLM, machine learning for molecular dynamics application DeePMD, hydrometeorological and hydrologic model application WRF-Hydro, and the mystery application ocean numerical model FVCOM, exhibiting a typical cross-disciplinary nature that demanded exceptional learning and innovation abilities.

This year’s event, co-hosted by the Asian Supercomputer Community and the University of Science and Technology of China, attracted over 300 teams from university teams all over the world. So far, Zhejiang University Supercomputing Team has a remarkable history in the ASC Student Supercomputer Challenge, securing six First Prizes, five Second Prizes, and two Highest Linpack awards in past competitions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock