Why Being a Mom Made Me a Better (and More Exhausted) Teacher

naveen

Motherhood is a transformative experience which changes the life of every woman who wears this title. Becoming a mother not only changes us as individuals but also impacts our careers and relationships. As a teacher, I have experienced the profound way motherhood can impact and even enhance the teaching profession. In this article, I will share my journey of how becoming a mom has made me a better (and more exhausted) teacher.

1. Empathy and understanding

Being a mom has made me more empathetic towards my students. I find myself being more understanding and patient with them, as I now see each student as someone’s child. This perspective has enabled me to connect with the students on a deeper level and create strong bonds that foster their growth in and out of the classroom.

2. Time management

Motherhood has taught me the importance of time management and setting boundaries. Balancing work and parenting responsibilities has made me more organized and efficient with my time. As a result, my lessons are better planned, and I am better able to respond to unforeseen interruptions or challenges in the classroom.

3. Prioritizing self-care

Teaching is a demanding job that often requires teachers to sacrifice their own well-being for their students’ needs. However, becoming a mom has taught me that self-care is essential for maintaining my mental health, energy levels, and overall passion for teaching itself. Making myself a priority has ultimately made me more effective in the classroom.

4. Real-world experiences

As a mom, I am constantly learning new things about the world around us – from health concerns to emotional resilience, and everything in between. My experiences have allowed me to bring real-life examples into my classroom discussions, making them more engaging and relatable for my students.

5. Value of communication

Effective communication plays a pivotal role in successful parenting and teaching alike. Being a mom has honed my ability to listen actively, ask meaningful questions, and convey information in a concise and clear manner. These skills have translated to stronger relationships with my students and better learning outcomes for them as well.

6. The importance of creativity and thinking outside the box

Teaching my child has forced me to be creative and think on my feet. I’ve had to find innovative ways to entertain, educate and even soothe a cranky toddler. This ability to think quickly and be resourceful has translated into my teaching approach, inspiring me to design captivating lessons that address various learning styles.

While motherhood has undoubtedly made me a better educator, it has also left me more exhausted than ever. Balancing work-life, parenting responsibilities, and taking care of oneself can be an overwhelming challenge for any parent in any profession.

But at the end of the day, I am grateful for the growth and lessons that motherhood has taught me. This journey has made me not only a better teacher but also a more empathetic and resilient human being.

In conclusion, the transformative experience of motherhood can bring invaluable changes to one’s professional life. For teachers, embracing the challenges and growth that come with being a mom can lead to improved teaching methods, deeper connections with students, and ultimately the fulfillment of our role as educators.

The post appeared first on .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock