Where to Eat in Agra? 6 Must-Try Eateries Recommended by Local Foodies

Educator

Sneaking out the back door of my jam-packed classroom was never a task. Enduring the summer heat of Agra while being tired and disgruntled, a sneaky student at the end of the day was the least of my teachers’ concerns.

The real challenge, however, was deciding where the ‘gang’ would go to munch after school. With crumpled notes and old coins, we would count our money and choose our destination.

In the heist of finding the cheapest and most delicious food in the city, I amassed a treasure trove of Agra’s best eateries. And I am not going to keep this information a secret any longer.

Join me on a and experience the best eateries Agra has to offer.

1. Deviram Sweets & Restaurant​

First things first, let us talk about breakfast. Agra, while famous for its beautiful Taj Mahal, should be on some world list for serving the best bedhai aloo. Growing up, it was a Sunday ritual to devour the delicacy along with some jalebi.

Don’t let the long queue outside the eatery intimidate you as in the end, it will be worth the wait. The eatery is an iconic place established in 1965. The shop maintains its traditional recipes, ensuring that each bite is a nostalgic journey through time.

2. Agra Chat Bhandar​

If we are talking about food places in the city of Taj, then it would be unfair to start with anyone else but the iconic Agra Chat Bhandar. A popular street food joint in Agra celebrated for its vibrant array of chaats, people from all over the city flood the place to try its different chats like dahi puri, bhel puri, papdi chat, aloo tikki, and golgappa.

3. Pinch of Spice​

Now that you have tried the iconic breakfast of the city and some snacks, you are definitely looking for a lunch and dinner spot. And Pinch of Spice is the place to go. Always flooded with tourists and locals alike, the eatery is known for its diverse North Indian menu.

Food blogger Sinful Foodie highly recommends the place and calls it “Agra’s best family restaurant”. When you are there, don’t forget to try the mutton seekh kebab and rogan josh!

4. Panchi Petha​

If dessert is next on your plate, then you cannot leave Agra before trying out the iconic petha. The sweet is made of ash gourd and was established in 1950 by the late Shri Pancham Lal Goyal. Over the decades, Panchi Petha has perfected the art of making this delicacy, offering a variety of flavors such as classic, angoori, kesar, and even modern twists like mango and my personal favourite one — the chocolate petha.

5. Beniram Chole Bhature Wale​

The most devoured and the cheapest dishes of all used to be for my school friends and I! While every niche and corner of the city serves delicious chole bhature, if I have to name one it would definitely be Beniram Chole Bhature Wale!

The secret to their success lies in their perfectly spiced chole (chickpea curry) and fluffy, golden-brown bhature (deep-fried bread). Each serving is accompanied by tangy pickles and a side of fresh onions, adding to the delightful experience.

6. Bhagat Halwai​

A popular hangout place in the city, Bhagat Halwai will satisfy all of your snack cravings. The place is a time-honoured sweet shop in Agra, known for its rich assortment of traditional Indian sweets and snacks.

Established in 1795, Bhagat Halwai has been a part of Agra’s culinary heritage for over two centuries. Famous for its delectable sweets such as peda, barfi, and rasgulla, Bhagat Halwai also excels in savoury kachoris, and namkeen. Each item is crafted with the finest ingredients, ensuring a perfect balance of flavours and textures.

Yash Shivhare, also known as @bhukkadofagra, recommends trying out their delectable dal batti.

7. Dasaprakash​

If you are craving some delicious then Dasaprakash is the answer for you. A go-to place for my mother, the place serves South Indian specialities such as uttapams, rasam, and sambar, all accompanied by an array of chutneys and sambar.

Established in 1921, it has built a reputation for serving high-quality, traditional dishes in a warm and inviting atmosphere. The restaurant’s name, which means “light of the servant of God,” reflects its commitment to excellent service and hospitality.

8. Mama Franky​

If you are in the city and are having some late-night cravings, then Mama Franky House in Sadar Bazaar will win your heart. My personal go-to place for the better part of my life, a trip back home these days is incomplete without a visit to the eatery!

The menu at Mama Franky House features a variety of options, including , each wrapped in a perfectly cooked paratha and stuffed with well-seasoned fillings.

Samay Anand, a traveller and food vlogger, says “If you are in Agra, then this place is unmissable.” He highly recommends the place and calls the food “shandaar” (fantastic).

So, which eatery are you going to try on your visit to the city of love?

Edited by Padmashree Pande

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock