What are the examples of coordinating and subordinating conjunctions?

naveen

Coordinating and subordinating conjunctions are integral parts of English grammar, serving as connectors between words, phrases, or clauses. Understanding their usage is key to constructing clear and coherent sentences.

Coordinating conjunctions connect elements of equal grammatical value: words with words, phrases with phrases, or independent clauses with independent clauses. The most common coordinating conjunctions can be remembered by the acronym FANBOYS:
1. For
2. And
3. Nor
4. But
5. Or
6. Yet
7. So

Here are examples of coordinating conjunctions in sentences:
– I want to play basketball, but my friend wants to play soccer.
– She would travel to Italy or France for her vacation.
– They’re not only talented musicians but also superb performers.

Subordinating conjunctions, on the other hand, introduce subordinate clauses and demonstrate a relationship between the subordinate clause and the rest of the sentence. Subordinate clauses cannot stand alone as complete sentences. Some common subordinating conjunctions include:
1. Although
2. Because
3. Since
4. Unless
5. While
6. After
7. Before
8. If

Examples of subordinating conjunctions used in sentences include:
– Although it was raining, we went out for a walk.
– She couldn’t attend the meeting because she was ill.
– If you finish your homework early, you can watch television.

Comprehending these two types of conjunctions allows writers to construct varied and interesting sentences, enhancing both written and spoken communication skills.

The post appeared first on .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock