Truck Driver’s Daughter to Cannes: How Sunita Rajwar Brought Her Father’s Cinema Dreams to Life

Educator

You might remember Sunita Rajwar for her recent role in Stree 2 as Janna’s mother or as the strong-willed Kranti Devi in Panchayat. But on the road to stardom, she did not have the glitz and glamour of the entertainment world lighting her way. Instead, all she carried was a gullak (piggy bank) full of dreams, determination, and passion.

Born in Haldwani, a small town nestled in the hills of Uttarakhand, her early life was far from the spotlight. Her father, a truck driver, worked tirelessly to provide for the family, and it was his love for cinema that planted the first seeds of acting in young Sunita.

“For years, I was hesitant to discuss my father’s job,” Sunita shared, “but I’ve grown to understand it’s something to be proud of, not ashamed of.”

Despite financial struggles, her father made sure that his children received the best education possible, often taking the family to theatre performances every Friday. This routine became a key factor in igniting Sunita’s love for drama and theatre.

Sunita’s passion for performing grew through school plays and dance competitions. The turning point came in college when a National School of Drama (NSD) alumnus noticed her talent. Encouraged, she enrolled in NSD, where three years of intensive training prepared her for the challenges ahead in the industry.

With ironclad commitment and a modest sum of Rs 30,000, Sunita moved to Mumbai in the late 90s, . But life in the city wasn’t easy. She struggled as a junior artist, often sharing cramped, dirty rooms with fellow actors. There were days when she waited for hours for a role, only to be typecast as a maid in small productions. Frustrated, she quit acting for two years, disillusioned by the repetitive roles being offered.

Just as Sunita began to question her future in the industry, fate intervened. A call for an audition led her to the role of ‘Bittu ki mummy’ in Gullak. The series became an instant hit, with audiences praising Sunita’s impeccable portrayal of the nosy, hilarious neighbour. “Before this, I used to do small roles, so when I found out about Gullak, I couldn’t believe it,” she said.

Sunita’s film career began with roles in Ek Chalis Ki Last Local, and later included critically acclaimed movies like Stree, Kedarnath, and Shubh Mangal Savdhan. But it was her breakthrough on OTT platforms that truly elevated her career, with her memorable performances in Gullak and Panchayat catapulting her to stardom.

Her journey reached new heights when she , representing her film Santosh. For the small-town girl who once shared dingy rooms in Mumbai, it was a dream come true.

Today, Sunita inspires many, as her gullak of dreams has finally cracked open, with one dream materialising after another!

Edited by Pranita Bhat

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock