The journey of a first-generation lawyer is never easy, but through hard work, personal networking, and an unwavering commitment to ethics, success is

Educator

429305856_386698517656035_5392895079927300518_n-300x300.jpg

This interview has been published by and

Could you share what inspired you to pursue a career in law, and how your journey has evolved from your early days at Campus Law Center, Delhi University, to becoming an Advocate-On-Record at the Supreme Court?

In a way, I am an accidental lawyer as after my graduation in 2009 with B.Com (Hons.) course from Zakir Husain Delhi College(erstwhile Zakir Husain College), Delhi University I was preparing for CAT and other MBA entrance exams along with Combined Defence Services examination. I cleared my Combined Defence Services examination and went to 14 SSB (Service Selection Board) Allahabad around March 2010. Unfortunately, I could not clear the Service Selection Board interview and later joined Aon Hewitt (erstwhile Hewitt Associates) as a Research Associate. In the meantime, I had cleared the Faculty Of Law, Delhi University entrance exam and got a decent rank so I took up the 3-year LLB course at Campus Law Centre.

During my days at Campus Law Centre, I took part in many Moot Court Competitions all over India and debates within the college itself. The atmosphere in Campus Law Centre is different as compared to other Law Schools’ be it National Law Universities or any other Law School. The vibe of studying at Delhi University, especially on North Campus and the exposure which one gets there develops the personality of an individual holistically. My internship stints in different offices after classes also helped me in making my decision towards taking up litigation as a career.

After my graduation in 2013, I was working as a Law Clerk with HMJ. (Retd.) Shiva Kirti Singh in Hon’ble Supreme Court and later on in many different offices such as Suri & Co., Luthra & Luthra Law Offices India (erstwhile L&L Partners), Chambers of Sr. Adv. Ajay Verma, C&C Associates, M/s. Dev Bhumi Cold Chain Pvt. Ltd. before going fully independent. All these offices helped me in becoming a better individual in my professional career and maybe in life as well. The exposure of dealing with different kinds of people and different complex situations has its advantages & disadvantages which one tries to navigate.

I had the opportunity to clear my Advocate-On-Record exam on my second attempt and got the result around April 2023. I think for establishing one’s career in litigation in the Supreme Court although it is not mandatory becoming an Advocate-On-Record does help as a stepping stone.

You are currently enrolled in the Professional Final Level of the Company Secretary course. What motivated you to pursue this course at this stage of your career? Do you see it as a strategic move for future growth in your field, or do you have any new plans or directions you aim to explore with this qualification?

I think this course will help as an add-on if one still pursues law as a career. I did B.Com (Hons.) before doing law so I found taking up another course such as Company Secretary as an advantage. But mind you this course does take up quite some time & energy in preparations, even though I am a bit held up in the Professional Final Level for quite some time. But it is also my opinion that the benefits after clearing this course are quite immense in commercial client buildups for individual practitioners specifically related to NCLT & NCLAT matters and even for those who want to join Commercial Legal Practice of Law Firms or Corporate In-House jobs.

It is also a reality that at the end of the day one might have 2-3 or 7-8 academic/educational course degrees, but if one does not know how to use them practically, then it does not make much of a difference in a practical professional career.

As an Advocate-On-Record at the Supreme Court, could you describe the unique responsibilities and challenges associated with this role compared to other legal positions you have held?

As an Advocate-On-Record, one must be mindful of the Special Leave Petitions or other drafts drafted and filed in Hon’ble Supreme Court, since the language is explicitly read and re-read by Judges and Counsels in open Court. Anything that is seen as amateurish or even bordering contempt of court can have serious repercussions for the Advocate-On-Record on whose name the document has been filed. The strictness of the Hon’ble Supreme Court is also legitimate since there is no appellate court as per se after the Hon’ble Supreme Court.

The stakes are high being an Advocate-On-Record due to the responsibility being attached with cases in Court, hence that will be a big difference as compared to other positions held in my legal career.

Could you share some insights or memorable experiences from the high-profile cases you have handled, such as those involving the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) or the Airport Authority of India?

With DDA, most cases were general land acquisitions in the manner of Writ Petitions in the High Court or Arbitrations related to the 2010 Commonwealth Games; henceforth, they were property law or commercial and arbitration-related.

However, there was one case while appearing for a private party against the Municipal Corporation of Delhi wherein a commercial establishment was sealed which was against the Hon’ble Delhi High Court order. I was working at C&C Associates at that time and we had to apply with regard to the same in the High Court, got it mentioned and then listed so that it can be heard as soon as possible. We argued in the evening and got a favourable order around 5:30-6 P.M. The efforts and the result of doing everything on almost the same day made this case special.

While looking after litigation matters at M/s. Dev Bhumi Cold Chain Pvt. Ltd. I had the opportunity to look after a case filed through a local Counsel in the United States Of America in the state of Washington, which required me to see witness depositions in a Court there till 2-4 A.M. in the night (Indian Standard Time) about 3-4 time and mediation attempt between parties couple of times, also had the opportunity to prep up an Indian witness being deposed in the Court in United States. I must add that based on my experience just like most Indian Courts are not as depicted in Indian movies, similarly courts in the United States are not as depicted in their movies (may I mention A Few Good Men!).

Another case was in Sikkim High Court wherein I flew to Gangtok to argue and get a stay order for the client. We had to file a Special Leave Petition in the Supreme Court to get the stay application heard in Sikkim High Court I think during winter vacation time. The climate terrain in that part of the region during winter is very cold, hence matter of preparation and getting a favourable order in an environment which one is not used to had its charm. I must add that North-East India is extremely beautiful and if one can then one should see the natural scenery there.

What has your experience been like as a Group ‘A’ Panel Counsel for the Central Government, and how do you balance this role with your private practice?

Being a Group ‘A’ Central Govt. Counsel in the Hon’ble Supreme Court is a mixed bag, from criminal to tax to service matters all kinds of cases come up. The work quality gives great exposure and managing it with private practice is not that big a task if one gets used to handling it quickly & efficiently.

You have significant experience in arbitration and mediation. What are the key skills a lawyer needs to succeed in these areas, and how do you prepare for arbitration proceedings?

I don’t know if I have significant experience in this field as it’s quite broad, but I can say that the preparation for cases in this area should be thorough since commercial arbitration matters have a lot at stake in terms of commercial repercussions. One should know the relevant provisions of law and the procedure before the appointment of an Arbitrator and after the appointment of an Arbitrator.

In Mediation proceedings, if parties are willing to settle the issues at hand, then all endeavours should be utilized to do so. Otherwise, prolonged litigation is in the interest of no one in the long run as compared to speedy disposal of a case at hand.

You have authored articles and a book on legal topics. How important do you think it is for practising lawyers to contribute to academic discourse, and what impact does it have on their practice?

I have written two books one on Patna High Court and its judgments and the other one on my Grandfather Late Shri Lalit Narayan Mishra (Former Railways Minister). I believe writing is a flare that helps in augmenting the drafting skills of a lawyer. I also contribute articles for The Daily Guardian, so I’ll encourage writing articles as a scope as well.

A practising lawyer should try to contribute to the academic discourse as a Guest Faculty or through any other medium as long as it does not affect the professional practice of the lawyer.

As someone with a highly demanding career, how do you manage to maintain a work-life balance, and what advice do you have for young lawyers struggling with this aspect?

In my opinion, work-life balance goes for a toss whether you are an Independent Practitioner or working in a Chambers/Law Firm/In-House Corporate Office. The reason for the same is competition in the market especially when it’s difficult getting clientele for your practice or job in someone’s office.

Time management is quintessential in such situations. Although time management is still a work-in-progress for me, those who can handle time durations for work and family along with extracurricular activities such as theatre or sports can still have a decent work-life balance.

Based on your extensive experience, what advice would you give to young legal professionals who are just starting their careers, particularly in the areas of civil and commercial law?

My advice to someone would be to do your best, so you don’t have too many regrets later. Those who are young in the profession should work on what they can do rather than thinking of something which might not be in their control for example applying for as much legal empanelment work as possible rather than waiting for work to come.

It’s a tough field where different types of people will come across in the profession, some as friends some may be something else. Always remember to value yourself no matter what the situation is while avoiding the fine line between self-confidence and arrogance.

The client whether an individual or a corporate house will be posting faith in you as a lawyer, so avoid letting someone down. Be ethical, since shortcuts and cutting corners will lead someone nowhere in the long run.

Any newcomer in the field should read the file at hand a lot and should be well-versed with the facts of the case while being updated with the recent judgments on the moot question in the matter. If opportunity is there then one should enjoy the process of arguing before the judge, whether District Court or Supreme Court to the best of one’s ability; the next client/the next opportunity could very well be watching the proceedings.

I also believe that the difference between first-generation and second/third-generation lawyers is in the first few years of the profession, it all gets levelled out based on the hard work and personal networking skills of the individual. There are enough first-generation lawyers in the field who are role models for many.

Get in touch with Vaibhav Mishra-

The post appeared first on .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock