The Face of DACA in My Classroom – One Teacher’s Story

naveen

As a teacher, you never forget the faces of your students. Each one is unique, brimming with potential and dreams as they enter your classroom. But for some, their journey to success is more challenging than others. This was especially true for one student, Luis, who became the face of DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) in my classroom.

Luis was a typical teenager – he wanted to fit in, make friends and, most importantly, succeed academically. He possessed an uncanny ability to bring people together and, despite his limited resources at home, consistently put forth outstanding effort in the classroom. But little did I know that beneath this confident exterior was a young man grappling with his uncertain future as an undocumented immigrant.

Born in Mexico, Luis was brought to the United States by his parents at a young age in search of better opportunities. Growing up, he and his family faced numerous challenges related to their immigration status, even while trying to integrate into American society.

The day the Obama administration announced DACA in 2012 marked a turning point for many of these young individuals and their families. This program provided temporary relief from deportation and the opportunity to live and work legally in the United States for undocumented immigrants who came here as children.

Seeing how this announcement affected Luis was heart-wrenching. For the first time since I had known him, he opened up about his fears and challenges related to his immigration status. Through tears, I witnessed him become more determined than ever to make the most of this opportunity.

As time passed and Luis benefitted from DACA protections, I saw him flourish academically and emotionally. He became actively involved in extracurricular activities, excelled in his studies, and began making plans for college. Although life was far from perfect or untroubled for Luis and his family, the dramatic change in his demeanor and motivation was undeniable.

But, with a change in administration came changes to DACA – from temporary setbacks to threats of complete termination. Watching Luis and other students with DACA status grapple with increased levels of anxiety and uncertainty was agonizing for me as their teacher. I found myself unable to provide the assurance they desperately sought that they would get to stay in the country they called home.

As educators, our role is not only to impart knowledge but also support our students emotionally. We advocate for their well-being and provide safe spaces for them despite the challenges life may throw their way. In teaching Luis and supporting him through his journey, I became more educated on the struggles of undocumented immigrants and their families.

The face of DACA in my classroom is viscerally human – it is filled with dreams, aspirations, fears, and vulnerabilities. Every day I look at my students and remember that immigration policy affects real lives and real futures. They inspire me to use whatever platform I have to raise awareness about the importance of comprehensive immigration reform and stand up for those whose voices are often drowned out by political debate.

For now, Luis and thousands like him remain in limbo as they wait for a permanent solution. As we bear witness to their lives unfolding, affected by decisions beyond our control, we must remember that empathetic understanding and advocacy can make all the difference in shaping our students’ futures. In telling their stories, we amplify their voices so that one day everyone will appreciate the humanity behind DACA recipients and stand up for a more compassionate and just society.

The post appeared first on .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock