Teaching Students About the History of Morocco

naveen

Morocco is a North African country with a rich history spanning over a millennium. However, many students globally are not aware of Morocco’s historical significance, which can have negative implications for multiculturalism and global outlook. Therefore, it is essential to teach young learners about the history of Morocco to promote cultural awareness and enhance global education.

Firstly, educators can teach students about the legendary founder of Morocco, Idris I. Idris I established the Idrisid dynasty in 788 AD in the city of Fes, founding one of Africa’s most significant and enduring political entities. Students can learn about the political, social, and economic structures that Idris I implemented to establish a viable state in the early Islamic period. Furthermore, learners can explore the various dynasties that ruled Morocco from the Almoravid to the Almohad dynasties.

Secondly, Moroccan geography and natural resources should be incorporated into the history lessons. Various regions of Morocco have distinct cultures that are worth mentioning. For instance, the Rif and Atlas Mountains occupy significant parts of Morocco, contributing to the country’s unique culture. Students can also learn how the natural resources of Morocco have shaped the country’s economy throughout history. The country’s phosphate reserves, which account for approximately 75% of global reserves, have had a significant impact on Morocco’s economy.

Thirdly, the history of Morocco’s relationship with Europe should be included, as it had a significant influence on Morocco’s economic development. Starting with the treaties established between Morocco and European colonial powers such as Portugal, Spain, and France, students can understand Morocco’s forced opening to trade. Moreover, the significance of Morocco during WWII in providing crucial resources to the Allied powers should be explored, with particular attention given to the country’s relationship with the United States.

Finally, students can learn about Morocco’s arts and culture, which have played an essential role in preserving its history. Students can explore various art forms, including traditional Moroccan clothing, carpets, ceramics, and music. The architecture alone is enough to inspire learners, including the ancient city of Fes, dubbed one of the most beautiful cities globally, with its elaborate arabesque designs. Additionally, students can learn about Moroccan gastronomy, with dishes such as couscous, tagines, and pastilla providing a window into Moroccan culture.

The post appeared first on .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock