Sunbeam Group of Schools

Educator

1.How did the idea of stepping into education strike you ?

I quitted Civil Services in 1977 to join my mother in running Sunbeam School. The traditional city of Varanasi always had the need of an English Medium School which would provide modern education with traditional values. The holistic development of the students in the flagship school Sunbeam Bhagwanpur created a niche for Sunbeam and also the need for more such institutions spanning the different corners of the city. Thus the opening of 7 Core schools & 2 Colleges in Varanasi, turning young minds into mature and scholarly citizens. So its almost 45 years serving my nation as an educationist.

2.What interested you to work in the education field?

Innovations and new ideas excite me. I like to lead from the front shouldering failure as much as success. I am not a behind the desk person I make myself visible even in classrooms and playground which creates a culture of credibility and trust among my team members. I love to listen to people and believe every problem has a solution. Incorporating New Technology for increasing efficiency and efficacy is what I push for always. My inspiration is my parents. Hard work and sincere intention can beat all odds. I saw my mother doing all odd jobs when she started the school with just 4 students and I dedicate my achievement to her that the strength is now 25000.

3. How does your knowledge and experience in the field of education influence your partner who is working in the same field and vice-versa?

We complement each other. The areas of direct monitoring are divided between us. My administrative experience & acumen are required for dealing with Govt agencies & other third party stakeholders, finance , innovations etc. My partner is more hands on with curriculum development, pedagogy, classroom delivery, in interactions with teachers, parents etc.

4.In what ways is She/he your pillar of strength?

My spouse , Ms Bharti Madhok is called the constructive critic by our colleagues & team members. She has a great eye for details, always has an idea of bettering every activity, new ways of doing things and thus is the one leading from the front in challenging times be it the pandemic, or the fast evolving school educational sector in India.

5. As your personal and professional lives are deeply intertwined, what are the unique challenges you face every day?

It has been a blessing in disguise for us. What is a challenge for many is an advantage for us. Our passion is the same, we do the same work & hence we are always together. Whether visiting schools, attending functions, or meeting people, or attending conferences , our schedules are the same, hence the planning too. Yes our lives are deeply intertwined for the good of our personal lives and for the educational sector of Varanasi & adjoining areas.

6.Being in the same profession you are exposed to differences of opinion. How do you cope with it?

I feel the differences of opinions and then arriving at the best solution has made our system robust and adaptable to changes. As already shared the thrust areas of monitoring and decision making are already earmarked. Besides that, we hold in high esteem our Board of Directors and value their opinions in decision making greatly. Now our son the next generation leader has the veto power at times, to help us arrive at a solution in case of a rare deadlock.

7. Maintaining a balance between work and home may get difficult at times, may it be for a husband or wife? How do you manage the same ?

Now our sons are married & settled and we do not have to worry much about the home front. It was kind of a challenge when they were kids in school. However by middle school, they were sent to Boarding schools, so it’s only during the holidays that they were home; and schools vacations are almost same all over India. As I have already mentioned our core team is like our family and we work in tandem , having immense trust on them. They manage in our absence, with the advent of technology sharing of information happens almost real time, hence we didn’t find it too difficult to cope with.

8. Describe one special quality which you wish you had and why?

I wish I could be more patient & empathetic like Ms Bharti Madhok. I am on the go person but I have realized dealing with human resources as the stake holders, patience is the key.

9. How do you motivate each other in times of crisis?

We stand together and try to think differently and accepting each other’s points of view.

10. A message for the couples who work in the same profession.

Always remember we are not just entrepreneurs but co-preneurs. Both should be equally enthusiastic in the business at hand, & no decisions should be by default. Each one needs to listen and accept the other’s points of views. I highly recommend creating a job description for the roles and one of you should have the final decision in areas under your jurisdiction. Hold on to the core values of your organization through thick & thin, that will not only iron individual differences but will also create agencies to support during disruptive times.

11. When you enter the house the work stays at the door, as you have other things to pay attention to. Do you live by this policy, if yes how do you make it possible?

Well, by the grace of God, we are in a business of creating temples of learnings, of shaping young minds, of providing the next generation of leaders & policy makers who shall better the world. Hence our home & our schools are extensions of each other. We do nurture our hobbies of music, traveling, reading, eating together for dinners etc., meeting friends & families, and through all these interactions too we learn & evolve to finally impact the thousands of students under our umbrella.

12. What would be your success mantra to this perfect combination of personal & professional partnership?

The personal & professional life should resonate with the same life lessons- adaptability, versatility, strategic choices & decisions as & when required, & taking advantage of positive new opportunities. Listen each other not to reply but to understand, follow discipline & be grateful to the Universal energies of God & Nature for everything in life.

9 total views

The post appeared first on .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock