I Marie Kondo-ed a Cluttered Classroom, and Here’s What Happened

naveen

Introduction:

As a teacher, I’ve often found myself overwhelmed by the clutter in my classroom. With piled-up papers, disorganized materials, and scattered items throughout the room, it was clear that something needed to change. That’s when I discovered Marie Kondo’s organizing methods and decided to give them a try in my classroom. Here’s what happened.

1. The KonMari Method

The KonMari Method is a system of simplifying and organizing developed by Japanese tidying expert Marie Kondo. It consists of gathering together all your belongings, one category at a time, and then keeping only those things that “spark joy” in your life. By following this method in my classroom, I was able to identify the essentials and let go of the clutter.

2. Starting with Books

I began by sorting through the myriad of books that filled every nook and cranny of the classroom. Deciding which books sparked joy was a challenge, but eventually, I narrowed down our collection to the most valuable and beneficial for the students’ learning.

3. Next: Papers

With Marie Kondo’s guidance, I tackled the ever-growing paper problem in my classroom. I sorted through lesson plans, student work, and important documents, ensuring that everything had its rightful place. Old materials were either recycled or donated to other classrooms.

4. Organizing Supplies

Streamlining supplies was crucial as well. Using clear storage containers and labels, every item now had an assigned home—markers with markers, glue sticks with glue sticks—making it easy for the students to find what they needed.

5. Implementing Daily Routines

For maintenance purposes, daily routines were established so that tidying became a group effort rather than an individual burden. Students were assigned tasks such as book returning or material respacing at the end of each day.

6. The Outcome

Not only did the classroom look better, but the newfound organization also had a significant impact on students’ focus and productivity. The environment became more conducive to learning as distractions were minimized and students felt relaxed in a clutter-free space.

Conclusion:

The Marie Kondo organizing experiment in my classroom was nothing short of transformative. By teaching my students the importance of a clutter-free space, I saw improvements in their academic performance and overall happiness. The KonMari Method is officially here to stay in this classroom!

The post appeared first on .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock