I Gave My Students My Cell Phone Number. Here’s What Happened.

naveen

Introduction

Being an educator today means navigating a constantly changing world, full of challenges, rewards, and unexpected situations. In my quest for improving my relationship with my students and fostering a more open line of communication, I decided to take an unconventional route – giving every one of my students my personal cell phone number. This decision led to many surprises, insights, and learning opportunities for both my students and me.

The Rationale

The idea for sharing my phone number came from several multi-tasking faculty members who swore by its effectiveness in breaking down communication barriers. I noticed that the traditional routes like office hours and email weren’t always suitable for every situation. There were times when quick feedback on a homework assignment or clarification on instructions needed to be conveyed in real-time. By offering a direct line of immediate contact, students had a more created a more open dialogue between us.

The Initial Shock

As expected, when I announced my decision in class, some students were surprised and skeptical. The idea of having their teacher’s phone number stored in their contacts was unusual and unheard of for most of them. I explained the guidelines: only use it for academic-related questions or emergencies and respect appropriate messaging hours with the understanding that I might not respond immediately.

The Positive Outcomes

Once normalized, this unconventional approach brought various benefits. Many students began to reach out with academic questions they wouldn’t have asked otherwise – since we had shattered the perceived hierarchies. This helped clarify their concerns in no time without waiting for the next scheduled class.

I even found myself going beyond simply answering subject-specific questions towards general career guidance and mentorship. The easy accessibility made students feel more comfortable discussing issues they would typically bring to a school counselor if they dared mention it at all, building their confidence through open discussion.

Unexpected Situations

While the results were mostly positive, there were occasional moments when the boundaries were tested. Late-night texts unrelated to academic matters or during school breaks came up. It was a learning opportunity for me and the students, as we clarified boundaries and ensured that they understood the purpose of that line of communication.

The Verdict

Ultimately, sharing my cell phone number with my students was an eye-opening experience that brought several pros and cons. For me, it enhanced my relationship with them, improved communication, and allowed me to extend support beyond the walls of the classroom. On the other hand, setting boundaries was crucial for a healthy work-lifestyle balance.

Would I do it again? As an educator passionate about relationships and communication, I’d say yes – as long as I have guidelines in place to protect both parties’ well-being while promoting open and supportive interactions.

The post appeared first on .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock