How I Keep 25 Kids From Getting Distracted With Their Computers

naveen

In today’s classrooms, technology has become an integral part of the learning experience. However, when used incorrectly, it can serve as a major source of distraction for students. As a teacher of 25 kids, I have developed strategies to ensure my students stay focused when working on their computers. Here are my top tips on keeping your classroom attentive and engaged during times of technological utilization.

1. Set clear expectations:

Establish a set of rules and expectations for computer usage in the classroom from day one. Ensure that your students understand what is considered appropriate use of technology and what is not. By setting these boundaries early, you can help establish a culture of responsible computer usage amongst your students.

2. Monitor screens:

As a teacher, it is essential to physically position yourself in a way that allows for easy visibility of your students’ computer screens. Periodically check on what they are doing to ensure they are on task. Encourage the use of full-screen mode for required tasks to reduce the temptation to multitask or switch between tabs.

3. Block unnecessary websites:

To minimize distractions, use website blocking and filtering software to limit access to unproductive websites during school hours. With such restrictions in place, you can reduce time spent on social media, gaming or other online distractions.

4. Establish tech-free zones:

Designate certain areas of the classroom as “tech-free zones”. These can be beneficial during group discussions or collaborative work periods when devices may inhibit productive exchanges between students.

5. Timed breaks:

Schedule short breaks at regular intervals that allow your students to step away from their computers and reset their focus. Encourage them to stand up and stretch or engage in other non-digital actvities during these breaks.

6. Teach time management skills:

Equip your students with time management techniques such as setting goals, creating schedules and prioritizing tasks. This helps them stay on track and become more efficient when working on their computers.

7. Encourage self-monitoring:

Teach your students how to keep themselves accountable for staying focused during computer use. Suggest methods such as setting a timer or using productivity apps that track their time spent on various tasks.

8. Reward positive behavior:

Reinforce responsible computer use by praising and rewarding students who exhibit appropriate behavior. Positive reinforcement will encourage continued diligence with technology.

9. Collaborate with parents:

Partner with the parents of your students to establish a shared understanding of the role of computers in your classroom. Encourage parent-teacher communication to address any concerns or issues related to digital distraction.

10. Lead by example:

Model responsible computer usage in your own work habits. Students are more likely to follow your guidelines if they see you practicing what you preach.

In conclusion, while technology has the potential to be a powerful tool in education, it can also be a significant source of distraction if not managed properly. By implementing these strategies, you will be well on your way to fostering a focused and productive learning environment – even with 25 kids!

The post appeared first on .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock