From Confusion to Clarity: Helping Patients Get Connected

hanuman

file.png

One of the services that we provide at Weis pharmacy is EngageDM Hypertension through our state’s CPESN network, Pennsylvania Pharmacists Care Network (PPCN), payer program. We review the patient’s blood pressure medications and educate them on the various aspects of managing high blood pressure, including offering a validated blood pressure monitor.

I called EH to discuss her blood pressure medications and her mother answered the phone. EH’s mother shared that EH has autism and would not be able to answer my questions, but she was willing to on her behalf. I completed a medication assessment and discussed EH’s two hypertension medications, enalapril and atenolol.

Medication List Related to Hypertension

Her mother reported no adherence issues or barriers with taking her blood pressure medications. I asked the mother what the last blood pressure reading that she could remember was, and she responded with a 90/60 mm Hg. I asked if EH was feeling any symptoms of low blood pressure, and the mother said no but she has other cardiac conditions that her physicians closely monitor. When I asked her how often they check her blood pressure at home, she said she did not because they did not have a blood pressure cuff. I educated her that we would be able to provide her with a validated blood pressure cuff, fully covered by the health plan after we contacted her provider for a prescription. She was excited to hear that her medicaid plan would cover a cuff for EH and said they would definitely use it. After the call, I contacted her doctor to get a prescription for the blood pressure cuff and next time EH’s mother comes in to pick up her prescriptions, it will be waiting for her.

In addition, I screened EH’s mother for
social determinants of health gaps for anyone in the household. At first, the mother said they were not in need of any resources. I encouraged her to contact us if anything changes and we can help connect them to community services or resources. EH’s mother paused, then mentioned that there is one thing they have been struggling with but she didn’t think that we would be able to help her with it. I asked her what it was, and she shared that they are looking for someone to stay in their house and take care of EH while they go away for a couple days. She said it would need to be someone like a skilled nurse because EH requires a lot of care. I told her I’m not sure what I can find but I will try my best to help. After I got off the phone, I searched through the resources I knew on and was not having any luck finding what she was looking for. I decided to call her health plan to see if they could provide me with a phone number or more information on how to help EH. The first person I spoke to transferred me to the DME department who was extremely helpful. They shared with me that this is a service that could be provided once they get more information from the patient. The representative from the health plan told me that either the PCP could send in a request to the health plan with a letter of medical need stating why EH would require this type of care or EH’s mother could call the shift care number of the health plan and provide them with more information about her condition.

file.png

After getting off of the phone with the health plan, I called EH’s mother back to update her on the situation. When I told her the information I was given, she was so excited and said she has been looking for something like this for months and was just about to give up hope that it existed. She was overjoyed at the possibility of this situation working out and was so thankful for my help.

This interaction showed me how big of an impact these services can make in someone’s life. Something as simple as connecting the patient with their existing insurance benefits made a memorable impact on this family's life. Every patient has unique needs, so it is important to provide individualized care to support our patients and transform their experience.

file.png

file.png

Written by: Nicole Middleton

Wilkes University PharmD Candidate 2025

Preceptor: Nicole Pezzino, PharmD, BCACP, BC-ADM, CDCES

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock