Celebrating Academic Excellence: Research Scholars’ Week 2024 Kicks Off with 193 Scholarly Research Papers at NIT Rourkela”

dailyeducation

Administrator
Staff member
RSW-2024-at-NITR-4.jpeg

The National Institute of Technology (NIT) Rourkela is organizing a three-day ‘Research Scholars’ Week 2024’ (RSW) from 17th to 19th May 2024. Every year RSW is conducted at NIT Rourkela to provide a platform for PhD scholars to present their research work. The RSW event for the year 2024 started today with an inaugural ceremony held at BB Auditorium. Prof. Banshidhar Majhi, currently serving as the Vice Chancellor of VSSUT Burla, inaugurated the event as the Chief Guest. A total of 193 PhD students from NIT Rourkela are participating in this event to present their research work.
The inaugural event commenced with a welcome address by Prof. Pradip Chowdhury, Professor in Charge of RSW-2024. He said, “Started in the academic year 2014-2015, this is the 8th session of Research Scholars’ Week at NIT Rourkela. Today, this gathering of PhD students stands as a testament to our collective dedication to academic investigation, discovery, and intellectual growth.”
Addressing the audience, the Dean (Academics) and the Chairman of the RSW Committee, Prof. Snehashish Chakraverty, stated, “In 1903, Marie Curie won the Nobel Prize in Physics for her research on radiation phenomena. This achievement exemplifies what can be accomplished through deep understanding and research in a subject, which a PhD course provides. Embarking on the path of research may be challenging and require daily commitment. However, choosing research as a career means embracing a life dedicated to problem-solving and being equipped to confront real-world complexities through an intellectual journey. RSW at NIT Rourkela serves as a platform for you to showcase your finest work, and we eagerly anticipate all of your presentations. I extend my heartfelt congratulations to our vibrant community of PhD researchers at the institute.”
Director in Charge, Prof. Chandan Kumar Sahoo, also congratulated the research scholars. He encouraged the students to consider entrepreneurial careers, highlighting how many PhD scholars are choosing industrial research and applying their findings to innovation, entering startups alongside academic professions. Prof. Sahoo urged the students to focus on solving societal problems through their research endeavours.
Speaking to the research scholars virtually, the Director of NIT Rourkela, Professor K. Umamaheshwar Rao, stated, “I firmly believe that the research showcased during RSW 2024 will gain significant visibility. The outcomes of these scholarly discussions will empower the scientific community at NIT Rourkela. Your research has the potential to lead to high-impact journals, patents, and collaborations with premier national and international institutes. I commend your tireless efforts and dedication in advancing knowledge in science, engineering, humanities, and management. I wish you all achieve the success you deserve.”
During the inaugural session, a commemorative souvenir marking the occasion was released. The dignitaries on the dais then felicitated the Chief Guest, Prof. Banshidhar Majhi. Prof. Majhi has served as a professor in the Computer Science and Engineering Department at NIT Rourkela. He has over 30 years of teaching experience, with more than 130 publications and 3 patents to his name. He has been honoured with the Global LEAP Fellowship by the Ministry of Education, Government of India, and the Samanta Chandra Sekhar Award by the Government of Odisha for his outstanding contributions to engineering and technology.
In his keynote address, Prof. Banshidhar Majhi remarked, “Research scholars are the primary stakeholders of the research ecosystem in any academic institution, and NIT Rourkela exemplifies this through the significant contributions of its research scholars since its inception. I recall that NIT Rourkela was the first among NITs to start an M.Tech (by Research) program. Ten years ago, when I was serving as the Dean of Academics, we initiated Research Scholar Week to promote a scholarly culture among students. RSW has since become the most anticipated event for the institute’s research scholars. It provides a valuable platform for interaction with young minds and faculty, offering insights to further enhance your work. I congratulate the RSW team for their proactive efforts in organizing this event and wish the research scholars success in their academic pursuits, bringing positive change to the future of development.”
Concluding the inaugural event, Associate Dean (Academic), Prof. Jyoti Prakash Kar, delivered a vote of thanks. This year, a total of 193 abstracts were selected for presentation. The first two days of RSW 2024 will feature poster presentations by scholars from the fields of basic sciences, humanities, and management studies. On the third day, there will be oral presentations from the shortlisted candidates, followed by a prize distribution ceremony for the winners and the awarding of certificates to the volunteers. The three-day event will conclude on 19th May 2024 with a valedictory ceremony, including a keynote address by the Guest of Honor, Prof. Partha Protim Chattopadhyay, Director of NIAMT Ranchi.
NITR, recognized as one of the top institutions for research, offers PhD students ample opportunities through its annual Research Scholar’s Week (RSW). RSW allows students to showcase a year’s worth of research through poster and oral presentations. It provides a conducive environment and a common platform for researchers to discuss and exchange ideas. The main objective of RSW is to identify and highlight the best and most significant research work while fostering an innovative mindset among undergraduate and master’s students and motivating them to pursue careers in research and development.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock