All About Lakshya Sen, India’s Rising Badminton Champion Stunning The World at Paris Olympics

Educator

Lakshya Sen’s meteoric rise in the badminton world has cemented him as the new poster boy of Indian sports. The rising star recently secured a resounding victory against Prannoy H S, another national hero, at the Paris Olympics. With this win, Lakshya stormed to the quarterfinals of the men’s singles badminton tournament.

This triumph , making him India’s third male player to reach the quarterfinals of the Olympic badminton competition.

Currently ranked 22, Lakshya will face a formidable opponent in the quarterfinals: 12th seed Chou Tien Chen from Chinese Taipei. As the upcoming match (on 2 August, 2024) promises to be a thrilling encounter, Lakshya remains confident. “I think having tough matches gives you confidence. I am now ready to go deep into the tournament. It will be a tricky match against Chou,” he told NDTV Sports.

Before his face-off with Prannoy, the 22-year-old sensation from Almora, Uttarakhand, made headlines for defeating Indonesia’s world number three Jonathan Christie at the Paris Games. The match highlighted a jaw-dropping no-look backhand shot by Lakshya that left both viewers and opponents in awe.

Anand Mahindra, chairman of Mahindra Group, took to ‘X’ to praise Lakshya with a pinch of humour. “If I were his opponent, I would cry foul and file a suit, claiming that I was confronted by an unnatural opponent who possessed three arms,” he quipped, sharing a video by The Better India.

Born in 2001, the young shuttler is known for his attacking instincts and powerful smashes. Lakshya’s achievements include winning gold at the 2022 Commonwealth Games and silver at the 2022 Asian Games, demonstrating his talent on the international stage. He also earned a bronze medal at the 2021 World Championships, solidifying his place among India’s top badminton players.

Lakshya also played a key , contributing significantly to the team’s success. His agility and skill have earned him a career-high ranking of No. 6 in the world, reflecting his consistent performance and growth. With impressive wins at the 2022 India Open and the 2023 Canada Open, he has proven himself a formidable competitor in the badminton circuit.

The prodigious talent became the youngest player to reach the Indian national men’s singles final in 2016 at just 15, surpassing his mentor Prakash Padukone. He was also ranked world number 1 in juniors. Over the years, he has transformed into one of the top young badminton players. He has also evolved technically, improving his defence and net dribbles, becoming a more well-rounded all-court player.

With fans rooting for him, Lakshya is determined to build on his impressive track record and make his mark on the world stage as he sets his sights on future victories.

Edited by Pranita Bhat

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock