20 Books About Autistic Kids for All Students

naveen

Introduction:

Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder that affects communication, social interaction, and behavior in varying degrees. Understanding autism and promoting inclusivity are crucial to building a more empathetic and diverse society. One effective approach to achieving this is through literature. Children’s books can provide insightful perspectives on the subject and help readers develop a deeper appreciation for autistic individuals.

In this article, we present 20 children’s books about autistic kids that cater to all students, regardless of their neurodiversity. These books are not only heartwarming and educational but can also act as a starting point for meaningful classroom discussions.

1. The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida

2. Uniquely Wired by Julia Cook

3. A Friend Like Simon by Kate Gaynor

4. Can You See Me? by Libby Scott and Rebecca Westcott

5. The Girl Who Thought in Pictures: The Story of Dr. Temple Grandin by Julia Finley Mosca

6. It’s an Autism Thing — I’ll Help You Understand It by Emma Dalmayne

7. All My Stripes: A Story for Children with Autism by Shaina Rudolph and Danielle Royer

8. Andy and His Yellow Frisbee by Mary Thompson

9. Different Like Me: My Book of Autism Heroes by Jennifer Elder

10. The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder by Carol Stock Kranowitz

11. Understanding Sam and Asperger Syndrome by Clarabelle van Niekerk and Liezl Venter

12. Isaac and His Amazing Asperger Superpowers! by Melanie Walsh

13. A Boy Called Bat by Elana K Arnold

14. The Goldfish Boy by Lisa Thompson

15. The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd

16. Waiting for Benjamin: A Story about Autism by Alexandra Jessup Altman

17. Inside Asperger’s Looking Out by Kathy Hoopmann

18. Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

19. Rules by Cynthia Lord

20. The Someday Birds by Sally J Pla

Conclusion:

These 20 books showcase the diverse experiences, challenges, and strengths of autistic children, which can help students develop empathy, understanding, and appreciation for their autistic peers. Whether read independently or shared in a classroom, these books demonstrate that embracing neurodiversity enriches all lives and contributes to a more inclusive world.

The post appeared first on .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock