“Starting my independent practice felt like a calling, but it was like graduating all over again. The learning curve was steep, the hours long, but th

Educator

CF2B9633-1498-4346-A64E-96E124A4E338_processed-225x300.png

This interview has been published by and

Could you please share what inspired you to pursue law, and how your journey from a student to an established advocate shaped your perspective on the legal profession?

I am an accidental lawyer. I come from a background of a wide array of professionals, including engineers, doctors, academicians, and armed forces veterans. During my school days, I was keen to serve in the armed forces growing up in a defence household. However, as a turn of fate, I could not take the NDA examination since I was severely unwell on the day of the exam. Luckily for me, at that time, the curriculum for the NDA entrance examination and LLB courses used to broadly overlap, so I could sit for the LLB examinations and qualify for the 5 year integrated law course at Amity Law School, GGSIPU. The thought of pursuing law as a profession, without any familial guidance, was both daunting and at the same time, exciting. As my college was based in Delhi, throughout the tenure of my course, I interned at various law offices practising diverse spheres of law after college hours. This developed my interest in the profession while giving me invaluable exposure to real practice outside of classrooms and an understanding of the legal profession in its practicality.

At the inspection of your career, you started working with the magic circle firm – Clifford Chance. What motivated you to shift your focus to active litigation and dispute resolution in India? How did this transition add a new dimension to your understanding of the law?

Around the time of my graduation in 2009, the global economic crisis was going on and the future seemed uncertain. In this background, opportunities and recruitment offers were few and far between. When I got an offer from Clifford Chance’s Indian office (now known as Clifford Chance Business Services) as a campus placement, I decided to take it up – even though it departed from my conventional choice of work –litigation and disputes. Working here provided an entirely new exposure where I was part of international transactions while interacting with top legal brains across the globe. Apart from the learnings in the field of law, this role helped me understand various global professional standards and work etiquette. After having honed my skills in this role for a year, I decided it was time to explore litigation & dispute resolution (my most preferred area of interest during my internships) and don robes!

In 2018, you established the Chambers of Mohit K. Mudgal. Could you share the story behind starting your independent practice?

During my formative years in litigation and dispute resolution, I was fortunate to come across offices that provided great mentorship, a wide array of work and ample opportunity.

From 2013-2018, I worked in Karanjawala and Co. where I gained invaluable exposure while advising and representing some of the biggest corporate houses and public figures. The issues involved in my work there ranged from complex high-value commercial disputes to matters of public importance being heard by constitutional benches of the Supreme Court. A large part of my work was briefing prominent senior advocates on complex issues which required one to be very thorough – not only with the brief but also with the law.

In 2018, I mustered the courage to venture into independent practice. Being a first-generation lawyer, the decision was not taken lightly. Having my practice felt like a calling to me, something I had wanted to do since day one. However, starting independent practice was like graduating all over again – the learning curve was steep and the hours were (and still are) long and exhausting. I was blessed to receive support from all corners – my previous employers, seniors at the bar, and even my peers. I am grateful for the trust bestowed upon me by these people in those initial years of independent practice.

As an expert in electricity laws, what challenges do you face in this niche area? How do you see the evolution of energy law in India in the coming years?

Electricity law is complex work that requires you to have a keen sector-specific expertise. It needs one to unlearn everything one knows about general legal principles and approach the field with a fresh perspective. The usual tricks of the trade do not always work in these forums, as the subject matter is very technical and the judges/ adjudicators are very clued in to these nuances. There is also a lack of organized dissemination of information when it comes to Electricity Laws. Some of senior lawyers provide

When I started electricity work in 2018, there were very few established names in this sector. However, the last 6 years, it has seen a mushrooming of both work and lawyers in these tribunals. Given the vision of the country towards electrification of rural India coupled with the transition to green energy from conventional sources, I believe that the sector shall continue to expand at a rapid and exponential pace over the next 10 – 15 years, at the very least.

Alongside your work, you are actively involved in providing legal aid to the needy. How important do you think pro bono work is in the legal profession, and how has it influenced your approach to justice and fairness?

I always tell my junior friends at the bar and my office – to be thankful for their privilege and what they’ve received, and always dedicate some time to those who can’t afford to pay for legal services. We make it a point to try and help every such person who knocks at my door and encourage the same in my office. It is a service to society and makes you a better lawyer and human being.

With the evolving legal landscape, what advice would you give to young lawyers and law students who aspire to excel in litigation and dispute resolution? What skills should they develop to succeed in today’s competitive environment?

While embracing technology in today’s time, the young lawyer can churn out results like never before and in record time. However, in this endeavour, it is paramount not to lose sight of the old-school ways of taking up the rigour and hard work to be well-read and researched. The gestation period in mainstream litigation is long and young lawyers should not give up easily or early. Do not look at others and yearn for more or feel like you’ve been dealt an unfair hand- the comparator is always yourself. You set your standards and those are the only markers you have to live up to.

As someone who has transitioned from a global law firm to running your practice, how do you approach mentorship within your team? What qualities do you look for in budding lawyers, and how do you help them develop their skills and careers?

Mentorship is one of the hardest and most rewarding aspects of this profession. It gives me immense pleasure to see my junior colleagues thriving and learning to problem-solve on their own.

Ownership and responsibility are something I always look for in budding lawyers. I always throw them in the deep end and give them all the tools and resources they need to do a good job, including guidance from me. I want their ambition and drive to be so high, and their performance so good, that they should be able to replace me on a brief. That is when I know I am doing a good job!

What qualities do you observe in current law graduates, and where do you think they might be lacking in skills?

Current law graduates are mostly worldly wise and confident. However, often this confidence is misplaced owing to the lack of the basic understanding and reading of the law. The practice of law is hard work and dedication which requires one to have immense patience and perseverance. This is a taxing profession and gets the best out of us. Unless we put in the hours, we can never reap the rewards.

Given the demanding nature of your work in litigation, arbitration, and mediation, how do you unwind and manage stress? Are there any particular hobbies or activities you enjoy that help you relax and maintain a work-life balance?

Music is a part of my daily routine which helps me unwind. I’m catching a live gig over most weekends given the time! I enjoy sports and am a fairly outdoorsy person. I particularly enjoy trekking, boxing, cricket, badminton and the occasional poker game!

Get in touch with Mohit Mudgal-

The post appeared first on .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock