“Patience, combined with a willingness to embrace new challenges, will set apart those who not only succeed but thrive in this evolving landscape.” –

Educator

RG-1-2.webp

This interview has been published by and

Welcome to SuperLawyer, Mr. Rishabh Gandhi! We’re excited to have you here with us today.

Thank you so much for having me here! It’s truly a pleasure to be speaking with you, and I’m looking forward to our conversation.

We’re going to ask you a few questions about your journey as a lawyer, academician, judge, and your general experiences in life and learning. Shall we begin?

Certainly! I’m all yours. I’m looking forward to sharing my experiences and thoughts.

Your academic journey is truly distinguished, including topping the MPSC interview, being a Gold Medalist, achieving top ranks as a university topper, receiving the Chief Minister’s appreciation, winning in national research, debates, and moot court competitions, presenting and publishing internationally, and now as a PhD research scholar of law and religion with a thriving legal practice. How have these accomplishments shaped your legal practice, and how do you integrate these experiences into your daily work as a lawyer?

(Smiling after hearing the question) Ah, now I get why your team was so keen on my CV!

My academic journey has been truly fulfilling. Coming from a Marathi medium background until the 12th standard, English was my 5th language, so the early years were certainly challenging. I had to work harder, learn faster, and adapt quickly. But once I found my rhythm, I was able to keep pace.

I wouldn’t say I was the most brilliant or intelligent, but I was certainly the most sincere. Looking back now, these accomplishments don’t seem as significant as they once did, but at the time, each one pushed me to work a little harder and aim a little higher.

What I truly gained from this journey was a deep appreciation for sincerity and hard work. These values have shaped my approach to everything—whether it’s diving deep into legal research or crafting arguments for arbitration and litigation.

The discipline of thorough preparation, structuring complex arguments logically, and presenting them persuasively—all stem from the principles that guided me throughout my academic years.

And perhaps, more than anything, it’s about maintaining that sense of curiosity—always wanting to learn more, to dig deeper, and to apply that knowledge in ways that can truly make a difference, whether in the courtroom or beyond.

Clerking with Hon’ble Justice Dr. D. Y. Chandrachud at the Bombay High Court, interning at Fox Mandal and other law firms, and working with firms like J S Wad & Co. and Karnik and Karnik Advocates must have been highly formative experiences. Could you share any particularly interesting or challenging situation from these roles and what you learned from it?

I vividly remember my first day clerking with Justice Chandrachud—it was November 11th, his birthday, and in the evening after court hours. I walked into his ante chamber and introduced myself, and he responded by saying, ‘Hello, I am Dhananjay.’ A senior high court judge introducing himself with his first name—it was remarkable. I was nothing compared to his stature, yet his humility and grace left a lasting impression on me.

I also recall how Justice Chandrachud would take a bag full of files home with him every day, preparing for the next day’s work. His dedication and commitment to preparation were powerful lessons that have stayed with me throughout my career. I still think about the case we discussed involving Section 295A of the IPC and Section 95 of the CrPC before a full bench. His depth of analysis was inspiring and shaped my approach to complex legal issues.

(Pauses, reflecting) At Karnik and Karnik Advocates, I learned the ABCs of civil procedure. It was the first time I appeared in court, even if it was just for an adjournment. But for me, it was a big opportunity to successfully convince the judge. I also gained my first experience drafting plaints, applications, and written statements. I’ll never forget one incident during the Facebook era—I was in the court chambers during lunch, using the office computer to check Facebook, when suddenly my senior walked in! Panicking, instead of closing the page, I shut off the computer—losing hours of unsaved work. It was a naive mistake, but it taught me two valuable lessons: never mix social media with work and always save your files—Ctrl + S became my best friend after that! (Chuckles)

(Pauses, then continues) At J S Wad & Co., I had the opportunity to handle civil and commercial disputes from start to finish. I was heavily involved in drafting, arguing interim and final matters, and conducting witness examinations and cross-examinations. I even got a taste of the corporate working style.

Turning down an MNC offer to pursue litigation must have been a significant decision, especially as a first-generation lawyer practicing away from your hometown. What factors influenced that choice, and how did you navigate the obstacles you faced early in your career? Reflecting on your journey, what advice would you give to others in similar positions who may be considering a similar path?

The offer from Infosys appeared quite lucrative, but I wasn’t drawn to the job profile. I felt that litigation and dispute resolution were where I truly belonged. Litigation is fascinating—each day brings new challenges, different cases, different people.

In the beginning, there were financial challenges, but over time, you find your rhythm. I’m happy I chose litigation over that offer, and if I had to make the decision today, I’d still do the same.

For those starting out, don’t focus on money early on. There will be struggles, but with patience and perseverance, the rewards will come. Patience is the key.

Your time as a Trial Court Judge must have offered unique insights into the legal process. Can you share an experience that challenged your views or required you to rethink your approach to law?

(Pauses, reflecting) As a Civil Judge and Judicial Magistrate, I had the opportunity to handle many complex partition suits relating to agricultural lands, specific performance suits, and injunction cases. These matters required extensive reading and strengthened my understanding of contractual obligations. I particularly recall granting a status quo ante in a case, which required deep thought and careful consideration.

Apart from that, I also served as a judicial member of the Juvenile Justice Board. Handling juveniles was quite different—it required a more humane and understanding approach. The process and environment were kept less formal to make it less intimidating for the juveniles. It was challenging, but also incredibly rewarding.

In my time as a Magistrate in criminal cases, I often encountered witnesses turning hostile. Navigating those situations required quick thinking, patience, and adaptability.

I must also mention the incredible training we received from the Maharashtra Judicial Academy. The training was rigorous and went beyond legal skills—it worked on discipline and integrity as well. The academy instilled a strong ethical foundation in us, which has shaped my approach to every case since.

Why did you leave the judiciary? What motivated you to transition from the judiciary back to legal practice, and how has your experience as a judge influenced your work in arbitration and litigation?

Why did I leave the judiciary? That’s a question I’ve been answering since 2016, and it still follows me! There’s no single reason, but I’ll share some pivotal moments.

The thought of resigning first crossed my mind just two months into my appointment when my leave application for my pre-planned wedding was rejected by the Principal District Judge. Fortunately, after escalating the matter to the Bombay High Court, the Principal District Judge was directed to grant me two days of leave.

However, that wasn’t the reason I ultimately left. After completing my training and taking charge, I enjoyed my work in the judiciary. But over time, there were some health issues and personal reasons. After much reflection, I made the decision to step down. I paid the compensation for the bond to the Government and resigned.

That said, my experience as a judge continues to shape my work in arbitration and litigation. Sitting on the bench taught me how arguments are perceived, what judges prioritize, and the importance of precision in presenting a case. I apply these lessons in every case I handle, whether it’s arbitration or litigation, giving me a more well-rounded approach to dispute resolution

You’ve handled high-profile cases, including the defamation case involving Justice P. B. Sawant and the Osho will forgery case. How did you approach these complex cases, and what lessons did they teach you about advocacy?

The Osho will forgery case was incredibly complex. It involved multiple police statements and a voluminous record, with the media closely watching. The case required detailed preparation, touching on international legal aspects like letters rogatory, multi-country assets, and the accused residing in another country who was never arrested. The police investigation had its flaws, and the case is now sub judice before the appellate court, but it remains one of the most interesting cases I’ve worked on.

As for Justice P. B. Sawant’s defamation case, I was retained by J. S. Wad & Co. as the advocate on record, alongside Late Adv. Nahar in the trial court. The case involved Times Now mistakenly displaying Justice Sawant’s photo and name in connection with a scam involving another judge, Justice Samanta. The trial was intense, with many witnesses and considerable media attention.

In the end, the court ruled in our favor, ordering Times Now to pay ₹100 crore in damages, though the case is now under appeal. The judge didn’t just refer to one of my submissions but actually included it in her judgment. I had quoted the Bhagavad Gita, where Lord Krishna tells Arjuna that damage to one’s reputation is worse than death, and she wrote that shloka verbatim in her decision.

Both of these cases taught me that working on minute details is crucial. As lawyers, we must not only refer to laws and precedents but also draw inspiration from broader sources, like the Gita in this case. It reminded me that advocacy goes beyond legal knowledge; it involves a deeper understanding of context and philosophy as well.

With experience in commercial litigation, real estate, and arbitration, how do you manage the demands of these different areas? Are there common challenges across these fields, and how do you address them?

In commercial litigation, the parties are typically corporate entities, which means communication must be prompt, and clients expect regular updates. Having a strong understanding of contract law and specific reliefs is essential, but it’s also about thinking with a businessperson’s perspective. You need to understand the business context in which the dispute arises to offer strategic legal solutions that align with the client’s goals.

Real estate, on the other hand, presents its own unique challenges. One of the biggest is untangling complex revenue records and land ownership histories. Real estate disputes often involve intricate, layered documentation, and resolving these disputes requires a meticulous approach to both historical and legal records.

Arbitration brings a different set of challenges. Domestic arbitration, especially when led by retired judges, has unfortunately become time-consuming, resembling traditional court processes. International arbitration, particularly institutional ones, tends to be more streamlined, although the complexity of cases can be higher due to jurisdictional issues. Arbitration has also become more expensive, and recently, the Government of India has discouraged arbitration for government-related cases below ₹10 crores in value.

It’s clear that Indian arbitration stakeholders need to reflect on this trend and revisit how the process can be streamlined. Making domestic arbitration more cost-effective and efficient is essential for restoring faith in the system. Across all these fields—whether commercial litigation, real estate, or arbitration—careful preparation, client communication, and strategic thinking are key to managing the demands and challenges effectively.

Arbitration is becoming increasingly important in India. What trends do you observe in this area, and how do you see arbitration evolving in the future, particularly in light of recent legal developments?

The legal profession is undergoing significant transformation due to technological advances, particularly AI. How do you view the role of AI in law, and do you see it as more of an opportunity or a challenge?

AI is playing an increasingly important role in law, and I see it as more of an opportunity than a challenge. Tools like live streaming, live transcription, and auto-dictation are revolutionizing court proceedings, making them more transparent and efficient. Research has become easier with AI-powered tools that can analyze case law and statutes in seconds. These advancements allow lawyers to focus more on strategy and less on routine tasks. However, it’s vital to remember that while AI can enhance efficiency, it can never replace human judgment, empathy, and ethics in legal practice. So, while AI is a powerful tool, it should complement human expertise rather than replace it.

Looking ahead, what do you see as the most significant trends or challenges that will shape the future of the legal profession? What skills and attributes will be most crucial for young lawyers in this evolving landscape?

(Pauses, reflecting) Looking ahead, the legal profession will be shaped by several transformative trends. Technology, particularly AI, will continue to streamline legal processes, but it will challenge lawyers to balance efficiency with human judgment. Globalization will intensify cross-border disputes, and alternative dispute resolution mechanisms like arbitration will become even more prominent as courts face backlogs.

For young lawyers, adaptability and technical proficiency will be crucial, but patience will be equally important. This is not a profession that yields instant rewards. You need to give it time—years, even—before it truly bears fruit. It’s essential to build a solid foundation of experience, knowledge, and client trust, which only comes with time. Emotional intelligence, resilience, and a strong ethical foundation will remain indispensable as well.

Patience, combined with a willingness to embrace new challenges, will set apart those who not only succeed but thrive in this evolving landscape.

Reflecting on your career, what have been some of the most important lessons you’ve learned? Were there any experiences that particularly shaped your philosophy as a lawyer?

(Pauses, reflecting) One of the most important lessons I’ve learned throughout my career is that patience and persistence are key. As the Mahabharata says, धैर्यं सर्वत्र साधनम्। ‘Patience is the solution to everything.’ Success in law takes time—years, even—and it’s essential to build a solid foundation before you see the real rewards. Equally important is humility. Be humble; humility helps. As the shloka says: अश्वस्य भूषणं वेगो मत्तस्य भूषणं क्षमा। वश्यस्य भूषणं विद्या विनयः शीलस्य भूषणम्।। ‘The ornament of a horse is its speed, of an elephant, its forgiveness; the ornament of a wise person is knowledge, and of character, humility. You don’t need to exhibit your knowledge or oratory skills to impress the courtroom. Instead, focus on persuading the judge. Argue to convince, not to show off. Don’t play to the gallery—play to the judge. It’s about expressing to persuade, not expressing to impress.”

This version effectively integrates the shloka with your original thoughts, reinforcing the importance of humility and persuasive advocacy in law.I’ve also learned that every suit has its own fate. You may feel you have a favorable case, or the law is on your side, or you’ve argued brilliantly, but the outcome might still go against you. Likewise, there are times when the facts and law aren’t favorable, and yet you receive a favorable order. Don’t let outcomes—favorable or otherwise—affect your state of mind. Remember, there’s always an appeal in case of an unfavorable judgment.

Networking is crucial in this profession, as is clear communication with your clients. Always be transparent and never give false hope. Be clear about the realities and complexities of their cases.

Above all, READ. You must constantly educate yourself. Reading will always be your most powerful tool in law. And finally, respect your peers, whether senior or junior. It’s important to show respect to opposing lawyers, as professional courtesy will always take you further.

With your extensive experience in trial court practice, what do you believe are the most critical skills or mindsets for young lawyers who want to succeed in litigation?

(Pauses, reflecting) For young lawyers entering litigation, several critical skills and mindsets are key to success. Preparation is everything—mastering the facts and anticipating courtroom questions is vital. Patience and persistence are equally important, as litigation is a long journey with inevitable setbacks.

Cross-examination skills are crucial: knowing what to ask, what not to ask, and how to read a witness can make or break a case. Understanding the foundational principles of evidence and a deep knowledge of procedural laws are essential. Minute procedural understanding ensures that you’re not caught off-guard by technicalities.

Communication is key, both in court and with your client. And finally, humility and respect—towards judges, staff, and opposing counsel—are non-negotiable. Litigation isn’t just about legal knowledge; it’s also about how you conduct yourself professionally.

As someone deeply involved in both legal practice and academia, what areas of law do you think need more attention in legal education? How can law schools better prepare students for the practical challenges they will face in the profession?

There are a few areas in legal education that I believe need more attention. First, there needs to be a greater focus on procedural law and its practical applications. Many young lawyers enter practice without a deep understanding of procedural intricacies, which can be critical in litigation.

Cross-examination techniques and understanding the nuances of evidence law should also be emphasized more. Law schools should introduce more hands-on training, such as moot courts, mock trials, internships, and regular court visits, to provide practical insights into how the legal system operates and bridge the gap between theory and practice.

Research skill enhancement is vital, as the ability to conduct thorough legal research underpins strong advocacy. Moot courts and mock trials are invaluable for simulating real-world courtroom experience, while regular court visits provide students with a real-time understanding of courtroom proceedings. Internships allow students to apply what they’ve learned in real-life scenarios, helping them gain practical exposure.

Moreover, legal education should adopt a multidisciplinary approach, integrating subjects like business, technology, and international law, which are increasingly relevant in today’s legal landscape. Finally, developing skills like client management, ethics, oratory, debating skills, and clear communication—often learned on the job—should be incorporated into curricula to better prepare students for the profession’s demands.

Your role as an Arbitrator and Mediator offers a unique perspective. What trends do you observe in dispute resolution in India, and how do you see the future of arbitration and mediation evolving?

In recent years, there’s been a noticeable shift toward arbitration and mediation, with more businesses seeking quicker and less adversarial alternatives to litigation. However, domestic arbitration in India is becoming slower and more expensive as many arbitrators, particularly retired judges, follow procedures resembling court litigation. This is a trend that Indian stakeholders need to revisit to ensure arbitration remains efficient and cost-effective.

On the other hand, international arbitrations, particularly institutional ones, are more streamlined and efficient, despite the complexity of the cases. The processes are smoother, and parties benefit from a structured framework. One recent development is the government’s decision to discourage arbitration for disputes under ₹10 crores in value for government contracts, which raises questions about the accessibility of arbitration for smaller cases.

Mediation is also growing in acceptance, particularly in commercial disputes and family matters. Its ability to resolve disputes amicably without prolonged court involvement is being increasingly recognized. I believe mediation will continue to evolve, with a focus on better training for mediators and a more robust framework for implementation.

A model that I think has great potential in India is Arb-Med-Arb. This hybrid approach allows parties to begin with arbitration, transition to mediation to seek a collaborative solution, and return to arbitration if mediation fails. It combines the best of both processes, reducing the adversarial nature of disputes while ensuring a final, enforceable resolution through arbitration. I see a bright future for Arb-Med-Arb, especially in complex commercial and civil matters.

You’ve been a visiting professor at many law colleges and frequently give guest lectures. How has your experience been in these academic roles?

Teaching is, to me, one of the most pious professions. I genuinely enjoy it, and I believe one learns a lot while teaching. The curiosity and enthusiasm of students are always fascinating. I fondly remember giving coffee lectures under the trees at one college—those informal discussions were some of the most memorable. I also cherish moments like when a class at ILS Law College, Pune, choreographed a dance on the last day of my lecture—it was such a sweet gesture, and I’ll treasure it forever.

One of the most rewarding experiences is seeing my former students standing across from me in court, arguing passionately. It makes me feel incredibly proud to see how far they’ve come and to know that I played a small part in their journey.

You manage a team of lawyers and paralegals while running a boutique law firm in Pune. What are some of the challenges you face in operating the firm, especially when dealing with high attrition rates? Is it difficult to manage and sustain a law firm in such a competitive environment?

High attrition rates are a universal challenge for law firms, and the key is to avoid becoming overly reliant on any one individual. You need to operate with the understanding that any employee may submit their notice at any time, which is why strong management and delegation skills are so important.

Some lawyers struggle with delegation—they prefer to handle everything themselves. However, effective delegation allows you to focus on high-priority work without micromanaging. Trusting your team empowers them and creates an efficient workflow while enabling you to invest time in strategic decisions.

Balancing client expectations, case management, and team dynamics can be challenging, but with clear leadership, a vision, and consistent professional development, it becomes manageable. Ultimately, running a successful law firm is about nurturing relationships—both with the team and clients—while ensuring everyone is aligned with the firm’s goals.

With your demanding career, how do you manage to unwind and find balance in your life? Are there any hobbies or activities that help you recharge and stay grounded amidst your busy schedule?

Balancing work and life is tricky, but I make it a priority because it’s essential to stay sharp. I wish I could say my hobbies include something fancy like golf or late-night partying! But I’m quite simple—a good book, good food and a solid night’s sleep, and I’m happy. Eating is honestly my hobby! I love trying different vegetarian cuisines, and sleep is my ultimate relaxation.

I enjoy visiting temples, especially old ones. I find a sense of peace there that helps me reconnect with myself. I also enjoy Family get-togethers, meetings with friends, beach vacations. It’s all about finding balance, and in the end, it’s the little things that keep me grounded and ready for the challenges ahead.

Reflecting on your diverse career, what advice would you give to aspiring lawyers or young professionals who are just starting their journey in law? What mindset or approach has been most valuable to you, and what would you encourage them to focus on as they build their own path?

For aspiring lawyers and young professionals, I would say: patience, persistence, and humility are key. The legal profession is a long game—success doesn’t come overnight, and you’ll face your share of challenges and setbacks. Embrace the process, and don’t focus solely on the end result. Learn from every case, whether you win or lose.

We must always remember the wisdom from Hitopadesha: उद्यमेन हि सिद्ध्यन्ति कार्याणि न मनोरथैः। न हि सुप्तस्य सिंहस्य प्रविशन्ति मुखे मृगाः।। ‘Success is achieved through effort, not by mere dreams. A deer doesn’t enter the mouth of a sleeping lion.’ With this in mind, we must put in all the efforts required.

Most importantly, maintain integrity. Be ethical in your dealings with clients, colleagues, and the court. Focus on continuous learning—read widely, stay curious, and never stop honing your craft. And remember, law is not just about knowing the law; it’s about understanding people, managing relationships, and balancing the technical with the human side of the profession. If you can do that, you’ll go far.

Get in touch with Rishabh Gandhi-

The post appeared first on .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock