Welcome To DailyEducation

DailyEducation is an open-source platform for educational updates and sharing knowledge with the World of Everyday students.

“Interdisciplinary approach is the key. Integrating knowledge from various fields enables you to provide innovative and practical solutions.” – Sahib

Educator

WhatsApp-Image-2024-07-02-at-9.16.34-AM-300x243.jpg

This interview has been published by and

Your educational journey has taken you from doing LLB in India to pursuing a Masters in law and economics from the EU. Could you share the motivation behind taking this diverse educational path and how each experience contributed to your growth as a legal professional?

Through both chance and persistence I have developed interest in economics, particularly the role it plays in shaping law and policy. The practice of law concerns various legal issues which can only be understood by using economic tools and techniques. With the change in the Indian corporate environment, there is a definite demand for a new breed of lawyers who argue in court on the basis of a multi-disciplinary expertise in law, economics, politics, engineering, management and the social sciences. Post my Law degree and after working as a litigating lawyer under the esteemed tutelage of Mr. A.S. Chandhiok (who was then the Adl. Solicitor General of India,) I knew my next step was to choose an interdisciplinary programme. This made me opt for the European Masters in Law and economics where I took up courses like Competition Economics, Regulatory Impact Analysis and Cost Benefit Analysis.

The course turned out to be valuable in my journey as a legal professional as it nudged me in the direction of competition law and policy. The intersection of law and Economics helps in rigorous analysis and a better understanding of competition issues in the market. Conducting efficiency analysis, assessing market power, impact on consumer welfare and even predictive power are a few areas where applying economic principles are very effective. As a result of my educational experience, I had the opportunity to work with some Law firms in the field of Antitrust in areas such as High technology, Standard essential patents (intersection of IP and competition), Fintech, agriculture ,healthcare amongst others. The academic experience also helped develop my writing skills(contributed to a Book on Comparative Competition Law and developed courses for some online education platforms) and oratory skills (enabled me to speak at public forums and conferences including giving guest lectures).

Your educational journey didn’t stop here. You ended up doing another course in Policy from National University of Singapore. What was your goal behind this? What sort of opportunities can one think of in the field of policy after a course like yours?

While working for law firms, I realised that enforcement of law is just one facet. The way laws are made/developed have a drastic impact on how they are implemented in a society. I realised that there was a definite need for a more concrete understanding on how policies are framed, how stakeholders are dealt with and how to make decisions in the varied political setups. This made me attend the policy programme at National University of Singapore. Studying in Singapore, learning how some great policy decisions contributed to Singapore’s journey to becoming this current economic behemoth was an incredible experience.

While most of my cohort ended up joining government consultancies or organisations engaging in social policies, I chose a route that helps me fortify my interest and expertise in the field of digital economy. So, I ended up working as a legal and policy consultant to Asia Internet coalition which is an industry association representing policy interests of several technology companies in Asia. Here my role was to advice on technology regulation and policy related issues, promote stakeholder dialogue and sharing comparative best practices. The areas worked on included regulations around Data Privacy/protection, Cloud computing, intermediary liability, Artificial intelligence, e-commerce amongst others. I was fortunate to have gotten this opportunity to solidify my expertise in technology policy.

After your stint at AIC, you moved to Canada and started your current role as a law officer at Competition Bureau Canada. could you shed some light on your day-to-day responsibilities and the most rewarding aspects of your work? How do you see your role contributing to the broader landscape of competition law enforcement, especially in the context of evolving technologies and industries?

I am extremely honoured to have been given this opportunity to work at the Canadian Competition bureau. Having worked on the private side for the better part of my legal career, the moment I was offered a chance to work on the public side, I pounced on it. I currently work for the Mergers and Monopolistic Practices Branch as a legal officer. Here my role includes conducting investigating steps i.e collect evidence to prove theory of harm. For this we conduct market calls, Document review, analyse all material so collected and make submissions to the competition tribunal. For ease of reference, my work is similar to what the Director General of Competition Commission of India does. This work has been extremely rewarding as it puts me in the centre of some of very interesting, contentious competition issues across diverse industries. Furthermore, Canadian competition law has recently gone through extreme changes via 3 rounds of amendments in the last few years. So this was an opportune time for me to witness and contribute to drastic policy changes in action.

Across the world big tech has seen an upheaval of enforcement actions by several regulators. The Canadian competition bureau too continues to lay a great amount of emphasis on the conduct in the digital space and hence I have had the privilege of being in the centre of some very exciting proactive law and policy work in this space.

How would you describe the differences between studying and working in the legal field in India and abroad? Are there specific aspects of your work that you found particularly enriching or challenging compared to your experiences in India

Based on my personal experience, workplaces in India often reflect a blend of traditional hierarchies, respect for authority, and strong emphasis on personal relationships. This can sometimes lead to a slower decision-making process and conflicts amongst colleagues. Which is not the case in places I’ve witnessed abroad, especially in Canada. Foreign workplaces seem to be more egalitarian with flatter organisational structure, hence is more efficiency enhancing and is result oriented. Here at the competition bureau for example, we officers are bestowed with complete responsibility for tasks assigned with minimal intervention from senior management. This helps me garner my leadership skills and gives a sense of accountability to the task assigned.

There is an obvious difference I observed in terms of work hours. In Most Indian workplaces I’ve been to long hours and extended workdays are common. Foreign workplaces however lay a lot of emphasis on clear boundaries between work and personal life. But that could also be attributed to differences in organisational setups.

Your interests extend to areas like behavioural economics and mental health. How do these interests intersect with your legal work, and do you believe they bring a unique perspective to your role as a Law officer?

During the early days of my masters programme I was exposed to a new discipline which fascinated me. Understanding behavioural economics helps comprehend how individuals and organisations make decisions. In the recent past regulators across the world have seen this as invaluable in legal context to analyse organisational behaviour, compliance with regulations and even strategize negotiations. Even at the Canadian Competition bureau we have a dedicated unit dealing with behavioural insights and how they aid in enforcement and policy work. So my curiosity back in the day has been helpful in my current career activities.

With regard to Mental health, it goes without saying that any job or any role requires an individual to be both physically and mentally fit. This is essential at workplace because it underpins well being, supports effective decision making, teamwork and positive work culture. Looking at the importance in the current era, I try to take every step possible to enhance my knowledge in the area hoping to be a good leader and an even better friend/colleague. It is my endeavour to help foster a culture of compassion and support.

On a lighter note, outside of your professional life, your interests include travel, playing table tennis, and playing the tabla. How do these activities contribute to your work-life balance, and do you have a favorite destination you’ve traveled to recently

Engaging in travel and other co curricular activities all contribute uniquely to my work life balance. Growing up my parents always pushed me to do stuff outside of academics. Playing a music instrument, like tabla, is an amazing creative outlet that helps me relax and unwind mentally. Most of my colleagues, especially in India, complain about routine and mundane life. So channeling focus and discipline in an alternate creative activity seems very helpful. Further, Playing table tennis is a great physical activity that helps me stay active and relieve stress. It’s a great social sport where playing with friends or colleagues fosters camaraderie.

I am an extremely passionate traveller, having visited more than 40 countries across the world. Traveling allows me to wind down and gain fresh perspectives. Experiencing different cultures, cuisines, and landscapes broadens my horizons and stimulates creativity. It’s a way for me to recharge and return to work with renewed energy and enthusiasm. As for my favorite destination, I have always enjoyed going to Vienna. Weirdly, Vienna was the first city I visited outside of India for a moot court back in 2011. I ended up doing a semester during my masters later and visited Vienna a couple of times as an arbitrator for the vis moot. Recently I visited again for a good friend’s wedding which was beyond magical. The blend of amazing Austro-Hungarian architecture, scenic alps, delicious coffee and cake make it the perfect place for any traveler.

Considering your work across several jurisdictions, what advice do you have for aspiring legal professionals looking to make a mark in the field of law and policy?

For aspiring legal professionals aiming to make a mark in the field interdisciplinary approach is the key. integrating knowledge from various fields such as economics, sociology, or technology with legal principles enables you to provide innovative and practical solutions. I have observed across all levels especially in regulatory fields economists and lawyers tend to think in Silos. It is essential that they work harmoniously in order to address complex issues in the new age.

Another aspect I would pay emphasis on is to find the right mentors. Seeking mentorship from experienced professionals can act as a major anchor when it comes to navigating one’s career. have noticed resistance from young individuals in seeking opinion/guidance. I was fortunate to have some really amazing mentors like Mr. A.S.Chandhiok, Justice Pratibha singh, Jeff paine and Max liu who at different points of life have provided my some sound advice not only professionally but personally too. The guidance so provided has helped me make a meaningful impact on my career but also make me a more wholesome human being.

Get in touch with Sahib Chadha-

The post appeared first on .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock