Welcome To DailyEducation

DailyEducation is an open-source platform for educational updates and sharing knowledge with the World of Everyday students.

“Environmental law is a growing field with a broad scope of work encompassing issues related to Pollution Control, Protection of Natural Resources, Wa

Educator

profile-pic-1-300x284.jpg

This Interview has been published by and

Your journey into law is quite remarkable. Can you share with us what initially inspired you to pursue a career in law?

Honestly speaking I entered the legal profession not by design, but destiny took me to this profession. Initially, I was quite skeptical and had a lot of hesitation but with time I recognized its worth and started enjoying my profession and the rest is history. I believe that Law colleges play a pivotal role in shaping your career interest and I owe a lot to my alma mater i.e. Faculty of Law, University of Delhi where from day one I got exposure to real case law study with the flair of litigation. Moreover, I feel lucky to have had a great mentor during my juniorship in Delhi High Court for the initial period of struggle who not only mentored me but supported me at every tough phase in my professional journey.

With your extensive experience in litigation management, can you tell us about some of the most challenging cases you’ve handled and what you learned from them?

I have dealt with several high-stake writ petitions including PILs filed against the Union of India wherein particular provisions of a Government /State’s Guidelines/ Office Memorandum/ Subordinate legislations etc. are challenged being ultra-vires to the Constitution of India, in addition to seeking interim stay in the matter. Such kinds of cases are very sensitive and require prompt action and timely briefing from the respective department to protect the interest and avoid any adverse order from the Hon’ble Court. Managing the aforesaid crisis is a bit of a challenging task keeping in view the limited time frame, however, having access to the department’s key personnel getting inputs and a good understanding of the court’s craft has helped me deal with such situations.

You’ve worked on a wide range of legal matters, from Constitutional law to Intellectual Property Rights. Which area of law do you find the most intriguing and why?

I found Constitutional law most intriguing because it encompasses everything, and all rights and respective duties of Citizens as well as States originate from it. Moreover, I have a very strong affinity for other areas of law including Administrative Law, Service Matters, Corporate Law, GST Law, Intellectual Property Rights, and Data Privacy law.

Drafting and reviewing complex legal documents like MOUs, NDAs, and contracts require great attention to detail. What strategies do you employ to ensure accuracy and compliance in your work?

In the corporate legal world drafting and reviewing legal documents including MOUs, NDAs, and Contract hold a very specific importance that not only requires an understanding of the genesis of the transactions based on such documents but also an in-depth knowledge of various branches of laws operating behind such transactions, viz; Contract law, Arbitration, IPR, Data Privacy law in addition to the general provisions of laws dealing with jurisdiction, etc. So far as my approach to dealing with the task above, I believe in the popular proverb ‘two heads are better than one’ which insists on adopting a ‘Four Eyes Principle’ for accuracy in addition to thoroughly checking every clause in line with organizational goals as well.

Your profile mentions your interest in the Environment, Health Issues, and Data Privacy Law. How do you see these areas evolving in the coming years, and what role do you hope to play in their development?

Environmental law is a growing field with a broad scope of work encompassing issues related to Pollution Control, Protection of Natural Resources, Waste Management, and Wildlife Protection, etc. Global Warming and Climate change have already taken Centre stage on the world canvas requiring multilateral cooperation amongst the various stakeholders. Moreover, Health Law in India is yet to be fully explored keeping in view the current state of the health sector in India. Article 47 of the Constitution of India’s Directive Principles imposes the duty on the state to raise the levels of nutrition and the standard of living and to improve public health as among its primary duties. Nevertheless, people are facing numerous health challenges in India which requires well-crafted policy implementation and trained legal professionals to realize the goal enshrined under the Constitution of India. So far as the Data Privacy law is concerned, it is still in its nascent stage in India, nevertheless, in the age of digital and technological advancement striking a balance between organizational goals and ensuring privacy parameters poses a great challenge and fresh opportunity as well. I’m eager to see the full-fledged exploration of potential outcomes impacting the common man’s life in the coming years and have already contributed through my research article etc. spreading awareness in my professional arena.

Managing litigation for various entities, including government departments, can be quite demanding. How do you balance the high-pressure environment while maintaining your strong work ethics and integrity?

Managing litigation for Government departments demands specific skill sets and an understanding of the Government’s points of view. A single order or direction against the departments can impact the functioning of the Govt. and sometimes open a Pandora’s box, if not properly defended proactively, considering the high stakes involved. Strong work ethics and integrity are the hallmarks of the legal profession, and the same applies to a person defending the Government’s interest, therefore, every legal professional must strive to act with a high level of professionalism and integrity. Being in the Legal profession for more than a decade I always acted keeping in view the aforesaid principles in all challenging situations.

You’ve authored several legal research papers and presented at international conferences. How do you think your research has influenced your professional practice and the broader legal community?

Well, research is a part and parcel of the legal profession wherein one is used to search for case precedence on particular facts and issues. However, researching beyond the court’s case precedence and striving to explore something that is neither being explored nor any precedence is available makes a difference in the long run. Many a time such kind of research may prove a deciding factor in deciding a case or formulating new policy guidelines to be implemented. Some of my research articles have been cited by other researchers to supplement their case/hypothesis thereby broadening the knowledge base. However, such kind of research requires new-age tools and techniques to justify your hypothesis with good analysis of data to come up with plausible solutions to the research problem. Moreover, for me, presenting and publishing a research article/paper at an international conference/ Journal helps me in aiding new insight to many subjects and new thoughts for legal exploration. It offers good networking with peers’ researchers and academia that is an added advantage.

Outside of your legal practice, what personal hobbies or interests do you pursue, and how do they help you maintain a work-life balance?

Outside my legal practice, I love reading good literature, which serves as food for my thoughts. Moreover, I’m very much involved in writing and my latest book “Witnessing the Sacred: Powerful Affirmations for Eternal Happiness and Success, occupies a place of prominence as Amazon Bestseller ( ). I routinely appear as a key Speaker in panel discussions on contemporary socio-legal issues. Additionally, I served as an expert assessor, judging national-level Moot Court and Negotiation Competitions organized by leading Law Schools in India.

What is your stake in the National Litigation Policy (NLP) that has now been finalized by the Law Ministry?

The National Litigation Policy (NLP) has been pitched as a major reform aimed at streamlining government litigation. As per the data available on the National Judicial Data Grid, more than 4.48 crore cases are pending in various courts, with the government and its agencies being the main litigants in various courts and tribunals across the country. This reform was much needed, and the judiciary has also emphasized the need for such a policy dealing with the high pendency of litigation. The Hon’ble Supreme Court in Chief Conservator of Forests Govt. of A.P. Vs. Collectors and Ors. 2003 (3) SCC 472 held that the States/Union of India must evolve a mechanism to set at rest all inter-departmental controversies at the level of the Government and such matters should not be carried to a court of law for resolution of the controversy. The Law Commission in its 126th Report, has also stressed the importance of a litigation policy to avoid litigation or reduce it thereby alleviating the burden on the court system. The finalization of NLP at the Ministry level is a welcome step, and I hope its implementation (post approval from the cabinet) will transform the Government into an efficient litigant whose primary responsibility is to protect the rights of citizens.

Finally, what advice would you give to fresh law graduates who are just starting their careers and aspire to have a successful career like yours?

The legal profession is a noble profession among all, and it offers numerous opportunities compared to any other profession in the world since it is not just limited to Advocacy or Judgeship. A law graduate has options to make his/her career in the Legal and Compliance Department of PSUs/Government Department /Private Companies/Bank/, NGOs/ International Organizations, and Academics. However, for all the fresh law graduates who are just starting their careers in litigation practice, I would advise being mentally prepared for tough terrain in the beginning. It requires a lot of hard work under intense pressure to perform. Nevertheless, with time, their hard work will pay off not only in terms of money but also in knowledge. However, for all the students aspiring to have a career in the legal field, I must emphasize the importance of choosing your Law College wisely since it plays a very crucial role and can have a lasting impact on your legal career.

Above all, I would like to say that legal knowledge not only empowers individuals by making them aware of their rights and duties, but it also provides for seeing society differently. A public-spirited lawyer can make a phenomenal impact on society by advocating for the social and economic rights of the people, as the fundamental ethos of the legal profession is the service to society.

Get in touch wit S S Rai-

The post appeared first on .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock