‘I Started Swimming at 45 & Became an International Champion at 63’: Meet Assam’s Iron Lady

Educator

In a small village in Golaghat, Assam, a girl with extraordinary prowess was born in 1962. Fourth amongst five siblings, she had an idyllic childhood that involved a lot of play with her brothers and sisters. One could spot Ranjita Gogoi hopping, skipping, jumping and running around all the time.

In school and college too, , becoming the volleyball captain and participating in various inter-collegiate sports. However, sports took a backseat after life and different priorities took over post marriage. One thing that remained constant throughout her life though was going to her gym.

The turning point that transformed this mother of two into a champion was the inauguration of a swimming pool in 2011. Ever ready for a challenge, Ranjita, who was then in her late 40s, dove into the pool, which for her, brimmed with possibilities. Soon, she started competing in district, state, national and international level competitions, emerging victorious each time.

Entranced by the world of competitive sports, she then tried her hand at powerlifting and arm wrestling too. The result — just as you expected — earned her the title of ‘Iron Lady of Assam’ at the state level.

“We are incredibly proud of her. I remember the first time she won a competition in swimming. It was sometime in 2013-14 and we threw a big party for her with all relatives and friends. They all were so proud of her and wanted her to continue and achieve bigger things. It was one of the happiest I had ever seen her,” says her son Anjumon, his voice brimming with pride.

We’ve always heard parents speak about their children’s achievements. It’s pleasantly surprising when the tables are turned, isn’t it?

Here’s 62-year-old Ranjita’s inspiring tale of achieving her dreams, age no bar!

Turning down a government job​

After completing a Bachelor’s degree (BSc) in agriculture, Ranjita got a government job. Post marriage, she shifted to a nearby district of Jorhat, where she continued her service. She then moved to the Philippines for a few years for her husband’s PhD degree. Always eager to learn, she pursued a course in computer programming there.

The young couple was often invited to pool parties. While everyone swam around and had a gala time, including Mr Gogoi, the Mrs had to use a float. This gave birth to a burning .

“It was almost like an inferiority complex. While everyone enjoyed themselves, I was stuck in the sidelines. Couples swam together while I couldn’t join my husband,” Ranjita shares with The Better India.

This was in the early 90s and after they returned to India, the swimming dream remained unfulfilled as there was no swimming pool nearby. By the time, their family too had grown and Ranjita juggled motherhood with her job. However, she had to quit in a few years, a regret which haunts Anjumon till date.

“I was in nursery school and would miss my mom after coming back home. I would cry and tell her to be at home due to which she quit her job and never joined back. I regret it even today,” he says.

Ranjita kept herself busy tending to her beautiful garden, a hobby that she continues even today amidst her hectic schedule. She was soon kept busier by another addition to the family, Anjumon’s brother.

“I always harboured an ambition to move up in life and looked for avenues,” says the champion.

Patience is rewarding, as an opportunity presented itself when a Swimming Federation of India (SFI) pool opened in Jorhat in 2011.

Initially, she started swimming, first as a daily routine and soon, competitively. Despite the late start, her dedication paid off remarkably as she quickly moved up in championships.

When she won the district-level competition, she realised her talent and started nurturing it.

ranjita3-1722346018.jpeg

Ranjita is a national and international champion in swimming

Gold medals in different inter-district competitions made everyone — from her family to coaches — get up and take notice of this ‘iron lady’.

And her hard work paid off as she found herself winning bigger competitions.

“Ranjita is extremely talented and consistent. She never misses a session and is very passionate about the sport. She is motivated and keeps looking for ways to improve. Her consistency and never-say-no attitude has taken her all the way,” says Harekrishna Gogoi, her swimming coach.

You only get better with age​

If ever you could use the adage ‘ , it would perfectly fit this 62-year-old.

Ranjita has added many medals to her kitty after 60

Ranjita has added many medals to her kitty after 60

Her certificates tell her story much better than words could. From silver and bronze in her 50s, she switched to gold in her 60s! She won gold medals in different swimming competitions like the 200m butterfly, 50m butterfly, 50m backstroke at the Pan India Masters Games Federations 2024. A keen athlete, she even has a relay gold, long jump silver and 60 m bronze in her kitty!

She made waves internationally as well in the Asia Pacific Masters Games 2023 held in South Korea, winning a bronze in Butterfly Stroke and silver in Breast Stoke. Short on funds for the trip as her husband is retired, Anjumon crowdfunded his mother’s trip, making her dream a reality.

Ranjita with her family

Ranjita with her family

One would normally be very content with these achievements but Ranjita is built differently. A regular at the gym, she soon started practising powerlifting and arm wrestling too.

“I liked powerlifting so I continued. I find all these sports very interesting and I’m always game to try something new,” Ranjita shares with childlike glee.

At the National Arm Wrestling Championship held by the Board of Control for Armwrestling in India (BCAI) in 2024, she won a silver medal. In powerlifting too, she has won gold medals at the national level at the National Masters Games held in Goa in 2024.

But the million dollar question is, how does she find time for all this?

By waking up at 4 am of course! She enjoys a cup of steaming chai or juice, post which she heads for swimming from 5 – 6 am. This is followed by an hour at the gym later. She trains for powerlifting and arm wrestling a few days in the week.

During her free time, she with her husband. “This routine has ensured that I don’t have to eat a single medicine,” she says proudly.

This routine helps her keep both her mind and body fit, perhaps explaining her ever smiling and pleasant candour.

The master of many sports is now gearing up for the International Federation of Armwrestling (IFA) World Armwrestling Championship in Greece.

Ranjita’s tale is an uplifting example that proves that with determination and passion, you can redefine yourself at any time, regardless of age. Her story is more than sports, it’s also about breaking stereotypes and showing that age and traditional roles do not define one’s capabilities.

Edited by Padmashree Pande, Images Courtesy Anjumon Gogoi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock